Friday, February 22, 2008

Banning Cash

It's interesting to me the opposition that eliminating cash has created (Casey B. and Mike H. have voiced concerns). Cash is already gradually being phased out by market forces. It seems to me that these days, cash is mostly used to evade taxes and to facilitate black market transactions. Specifically, I think it would make it way easier to implement the aggressive tax system I propose.

As part of this, I think there would have to either be a government service or price caps for processing fees, so that vendors don't have to pay outsized fees for processing debit transactions.

But maybe you guys can talk me out of this. It’s not a core belief of mine, it’s more of a practical measure. What are your concerns?

I welcome criticisms of other tenets of The 40 at any time hereafter – it’s never a stale thread.

3 comments:

  1. Don't make the same mistake Jack Palance made back in 1989:

    If you choose to tackle Cash, you also have to eliminate Tango from the equation.

    Together they are a formidable pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, he got FUBAR'd. I have a severe aversion to getting FUBAR.

    ReplyDelete