Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Words of Wisdom

I've been skimming Noam Chomsky's wikipedia entry recently in order to prepare to ask him a question on Thursday on my friend's radio show. I came across this awesome quote:

"Anarchists propose other measures to deal with these problems, without recourse to state authority. I agree. But this is irrelevant to the problems faced by the Ravenswood workers, poor people dying of TB, hungry children, TODAY. It would be a gesture of extraordinary contempt for suffering people to approach them with the suggested slogans, which translate into real life terms: down with OSHA and support systems, etc., because they interfere with the freedom of individual -- wait for us to construct a different society some day. And that gesture of contempt would be met with dismissal, or worse, and properly so.

"One can, of course, take the position that we don't care about the problems people face today, and want to think about a possible tomorrow. OK, but then don't pretend to have any interest in human beings and their fate, and stay in the seminar room and intellectual coffee house with other privileged people. Or one can take a much more humane position: I want to work, today, to build a better society for tomorrow -- the classical anarchist position, quite different from the slogans in the question. That's exactly right, and it leads directly to support for the people facing problems today: for enforcement of health and safety regulation, provision of national health insurance, support systems for people who need them, etc. That is not a sufficient condition for organizing for a different and better future, but it is a necessary condition. Anything else will receive the well-merited contempt of people who do not have the luxury to disregard the circumstances in which they live, and try to survive.
"

Read the whole interview here.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I didn't realize he was quite so pragmatic. I think he gets a little too much shit from American far-lefties. A backlash seemed occur post-9/9/09 to the Chomsky/Zinn hero worship that tended to go on when I was an undergrad. I think the backlash got a little out of hand at some point. Chomsky isn't without redeeming qualities.
    What's this radio show? Is it of the call-in variety? Can I call in and do a "bit" or "skit"? "Jimmy from Gloucester City" has been itching for a forum where he can loudly voice all his Corzine complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I wish. Could Jimmy complain about McGreevey and Donovan as well? I would love a "spoof" or a "vignette." Unfortunately there aren't call-ins, and the show uses prehistoric technology so there is no web access available. It would also be pretty good to call and try to push some made-up convenient infomercial product, like the "egg cooker" or the "orange peeler."

    The show will be recorded though. If I can make it available somehow I will. I agree that Noah Chompkins has his moments, notably including the one I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure as hell never heard of them. But they are listed as adjunct faculty. Must be some kind of bullshit honorarium.

    I love the idea. This friend of mine I'm helping out with the interview usually has call-ins (just not this time). Of course, no one can usually hear the show unless they are here in town (and often not even then). Perhaps "Jimmy" could call in during next week's interview of the distinguished right-wing legal scholar, Richard Epstein. I believe that show will be taped as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noam Chomsky spoke at our university in 2000 or 2001 and devoted a good portion of his talk to ways individuals could effect positive and pragmatic change.

    When he mentioned the international land mine plague, I was hooked, and decided then that I would be a part of the solution.

    I wrote Chomsky to find out if he had any contacts, and he responded with some helpful advice.

    Then Finley message blasted his MIT office answering machine on my behalf.

    But,. as the frat boys whose dads were behind the manufacture of all those anti-personnel minds used to say, "it's all good."

    With any luck, I will be working for these guys in a few months:

    HALO Trust

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now come on Chris. That experience was crucial in helping us form the great friendship we have today. You know it worked out for the best. Besides, you signed me up for some nonsense on behalf of my thriving, fictitious small business, Endertechnicon, LLC. And also, I emailed him from chrisnatale@hotmail.com (or some such made-up email address that resembled your name) about how "I'll even help you clean the room if you like." Don't sell the story short.

    On another note, I take Chompkins' point to mean that far-leftists should vote for the Gores over the Naders. Do you guys see it that way? I'm not saying Chompkins actually voted for Gore, but I think his message here would direct one to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But chrisnatale@hotmail.com is my real address!

    Yes, I think you, me, and Noam Chomsky wouldn't be the best buds we are today if it weren't for that stunt.

    And Endertechnicon's stock would be in the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. While we're on the subject, I've decide to make a list of all the funny Messageblast/mass e-mail list names of the past:
    Lombard Vorman
    Alfred Nemo
    Rob McCactus
    Nick Algae
    Equestrian Gamble
    Grievance ORahilly
    Egregious Ellipsis
    Flannigan ONeil
    Mohammad al-Hamerican
    Tamera Archipelago
    James Gorman
    Franklin Mercer
    Damascus Creatine
    Thermopylae MacOctopus
    Judith Clitoris
    Hector Servitude
    Al Glacier
    Clancy McEwan
    Lewis Ramone
    Dick Licker
    Philip Avenue
    Flex Iconoclast
    Wally Mugabe
    Sluce McOpponent
    Atlas R. Holster
    Joe H. Surface
    Ricardo Cartridge
    Rock Boulderstone
    Russ Axelrod
    Champ OBilliards
    Roederick T. Baltimore

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should probably add "Victor Malice" onto that list. I used Vic for a caper or two.

    ReplyDelete