Thursday, March 20, 2008

Talking Point for Dealing with Uncle Love-It-Or-Leave-It This Easter

This Easter, as family reunions bring us to a table of people with whom we share a bloodline but not necessarily political and economic philosophies, we're probably bound to hear the old familiar "this country is a place where if you work hard, and pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you can succeed. Look at me--I worked hard to get what I have..."

Well, here's a little riposte I've just developed that I believe to be unassailable, both for its fear-mongering "think of the children" element and for its non-partisanship:

"Well, if it's the case that anyone can succeed so long as they're willing, I challenge you to refuse to pay for your kids' education and leave all your possessions and inheritance when you die to the cause of your choice, because you know your kids will do just fine starting from scratch with a little can-do spirit and determination."

Your feedback on how to make it a more potent oratorical weapon is welcome.

5 comments:

  1. You could also go further and suggest parents don't provide support for their kids' organized sports, music programs, etc.

    It isn't just inheritances or big ticket items that allow people to succeed. It is also the accumulation of smaller luxuries (and necessities) that contribute to success and upward mobility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I won't be seeing Uncle Gloucester this holiday season. I will have to live vicariously through everyone else's Uncle Name-of-town stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can post my own posts hre, so I'm using the comments page to draw attention to this editorial in the NYTimes today.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/opinion/21fri1.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, good additions.
    No soccer, no piano lessons, no varied and balanced meals, no vacations to the beach or to Europe.
    I like it.

    ReplyDelete